Most of our custom board cutting is done on an electric guillotine cutter as shown above. The parent sheets we use are 26" x 38" (Standard Board) and 30" x 40" (Davey Board). Grain direction runs long for both Standard and Davey Board parent sheets.
Because of the consistency in thickness and dimensions of our board, cutting charges are based primarily on the number of parent sheets required to fulfill the cutting request. We back-cut all board pieces (essentially, we cut each side twice) to assure the boards are cut square. Although we attempt to be as accurate as possible, calibrating each dimension using a hand operated gauge may result in a slight variance of approximately 1/32”. For this reason, it is suggested that you do not use our board cutting service for cutting pieces that require absolutely precise measurements of less than 1/16".
To get the most out of our services, we encourage you to consider placing orders that will maximize at least one full sheet of book board. Many people who use our services are doing at least several of the same size books.
The quote you receive from us will include the cost of the book board and cutting charges. Our custom cutting quotes do not include shipping. Those charges are determined separately by weight and zip code. Most custom cutting orders will take several days before we can cut and ship the order.
How We Determine the Cost:
A standard set-up charge of $10 applies to all our board-cutting services. This fee is waived on orders over $50. The minimum charge for any board cutting service is $20.
1. Determine the size of the pieces you want us to cut and round up by 1/2” or up to the nearest 1/2" for each dimension. For example, a measurement of 5 3/8" x 7" becomes 6" x 7 1/2" for our purposes only. The extra 1/2" or so is needed in our calculations so we can back-cut each piece on the guillotine. This assures that each piece is cut as square as possible.
IMPORTANT: The measurement you submit for your quote should be the EXACT measurement you want us to cut. DO NOT use the rounded-up measurement when you submit your measurements.
2. Determine the grain direction of the board to be cut. It will run either long or short. Most often the grain runs long. For example, if you are making a book that is vertical (or has a portrait orientation), which are most books, the grain direction should run the same direction as the spine. In this case the spine pieces and cover boards should both be requested as grain long.
If the book is horizontal, such as a landscape oriented guest book or photo album, the grain of the spine should still run long, however, the cover boards should run short. (In our example, the 5 3/8" spine would run grain long, but the landscape oriented cover boards would run grain short.
3. Enter the quantity of pieces required. You may enter up to three measurements for the same board type. If you would like a different board type, you will need to submit a new custom cutting quote request.
4. To calculate how many pieces can be obtained from a full sheet (using Standard Board and our example measurements of 5 3/8" x 7"), divide the short direction (6") into the 26" width of the parent sheet. This will equal 4. Next, divide the long direction (7 1/2") length into 38" length. This equals 5. This means we can cut 20 pieces out of a single parent sheet of Standard Board. (4 x 5 = 20)
5. The following are the costs per parent sheet used for the various types of board for up to 20 pieces cut from each: See #6 Additional Small Pieces Fees for possible additional charges.
.060 Standard Board
- $8.50 per sheet for up to the use of 10 parent sheets
- $7.50 per sheet for over 10 parent sheets
.090 Standard Book Board:
- $9.50 per sheet for up to the use of 10 parent sheets
- $8.50 per sheet for over 10 parent sheets
.100 Standard Book Board:
- $11.50 per sheet for up to the use of 10 parent sheets
- $10.50 per sheet for over 10 parent sheets
.080 Standard Book Board - BLACK:
- $10.00 per sheet for up to the use of 10 parent sheets
- $9.50 per sheet for over 10 parent sheets
.080 Davey Board:
- $13 per sheet for up to the use of 10 parent sheets
- $12 per sheet for over 10 parent sheets
.098 Davey Board:
- $16 per sheet for up to the use of 10 parent sheets
- $15 per sheet for over 10 parent sheets
6. Additional Small Pieces Fees. Cutting small pieces (generally under 3" or 4", for spines, or other factors may add to the cost of cutting. We usually include these fees if the quantity exceeds 20 pieces per parent sheet. (It is a single fee only and not added for each parent sheet used.)
20 to 29 - $10; 30 to 39 - $20; 40 to 49 - $30; 50 to 59 - $40; 60 to 69 - $50; 70 to 79 - $60; Over 80 - TBD
We may also contact you regarding limitations on what is feasible for us to cut, such as very large quantities, pieces that are too small for our cutter, or other unusual requests.